Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Thursday 30 August 2007

Theme Thursday: Pretty

Wow. What a tough theme this week. I tried to be witty and lateral and look for unusual juxtapositions etc but when it comes down to it, nothing leaves me breathless like a field of wild flowers. This one is through our back gate and over the road. It was taken last Spring before I started looking at different ways to take photographs so it was simply a happy snap of the amazing abundance and variety of colours and patterns. En masse as they were it was stunning.

Of course, no post would be complete without a few glimpses of other things that went through my overactive mind when confronted with 'Pretty'.This is my human version. It was the first digital photo my Dad ever took of Bee the day he brought his new camera home. It is so low quality when I look at it now but at the time it was mind blowing. He was able to email it to her dad in Australia the next day, who reported opening the attachment, having his breath taken away and then bursting into tears. And so the era of digital sharing began.

I still marvel at how I produced such a pretty girl.

And finally, sliding far, far back into time, we had a fashion parade 'fund raiser' today at school where the teachers dressed up in the clothes we wore as teenagers. I dragged out my very first 'ball dress' which I wore aged 14. I don't have an original picture from the era but here is a photo of me today, remembering what it felt like to feel 'pretty'.
For a pretty amazing theme, visit Tracey's and be captivated by 'pretty'.

18 comments:

Brittany said...

All are very pretty. I love that dress, too, very very pretty. I wish we had fields of flowers like that...we just have fields of corn. haha.

Maya said...

We had the same take on pretty with the field of flowers! AND that dress is to die for!!!

Anonymous said...

Very "pretty" shots! I love the dress! Looks comfy!! Love the curls and the doll-like face! How precious!

Anonymous said...

the picture of bee is beautiful, but the pic of you in the dress is fabulous!!

Dawn said...

All three are soooooo pretty!! Am I reading that right? That's the same dress you wore when you were 14?? I could NEVER fit into my clothes from then. You're amazing!

B is soooo cute in that shot. And I love the story behind it.

Finally, I LOVE your field of flowers shot. The colors are rich and beautiful and it really captures the "wildness" of the field of wildflowers. If that makes sense.

kim said...

I am so jealous that you fit into a dress you wore at 14! Wow! The flowers are very pretty. But the prettiest of all is your Bee. Even a "low-quality" digital shot can be beautiful when you have the perfect subject.

Arizaphale said...

Aaaawwwww thankyou guys. I do think that's a special shot of Bee though.
I'm afraid the loose nature of the dress assisted in the fitting department. I had another outfit from when I was 19 which I couldn't get done up. Curses!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! And I'm impressed that you still fit into a dress that you wore when you were 14!

Stacy said...

Um...okay, the fact that you can still fit in the same dress that you wore at age 14 makes me just a little teeny bit envious! All pretty pictures. :)

chaoticfamily said...

Very pretty photos... Nice collection! Love the flower one.

Ashlea said...

a field of flowers always does it for me too! very nice.

Christina said...

All three are gorgeous! I love me some wildflowers - I've thought about sowing my back yard in them and letting it go crazy, no more mowing. ;o) Bee is truly beautiful, and what a special, special picture! I've gotten so used to "angel baby" that "Bee" through me for a loop, tho. And finally, wow, you fit in the same dress you wore at 14?!?! Again, wow. You look lovely!

mandaroo63 said...

I agree, fields of wild flowers always make me think of "pretty" or "beauty", and of course our little girls are always pretty to us (& others!)Nice shots! I'll have to see if I have any old "ball" dresses, those are always fun to look at : )

Maggie said...

Those are all pretty shots, but I have to agree with you - those wild flowers are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are wearing a teenage dress--you are fabulous!

And I love the flower photo, too, plus of course the pretty human.


And thank you for your words of support, empathy and advice, I think you were right on with the snacks. I almost always have snacks, but on the worst tantrum day I didn't--hmmm....

a said...

I love the story about Bee and the picture! Technology makes our lives so much better, and this is a great example!

Arizaphale said...

Re Anna's comment:
For 'fabulous' read 'shameless exhibitionist' :-D

Karen said...

Oh my goodness, I love the dress! What amazes me is that you still have it.

What a pretty girl you have and, those flowers. Pretty too.

Pretty all around. :)